Main Areas of
the Political Activity
- 31 years in office with mandate for Freiburg as
- a town councillor (1971-1973),
- a member of the German Bundestag [Lower House of the Federal Parliament], of which 4 years were spent as the Parliamentary Secretary of State under the Federal Minister of Finance (1978-1982),
- the Lord Mayor of Freiburg (1982-2002)
- As a member of the German Bundestag [Lower House of the Federal Parliament], a rapporteur for the Corporation Tax Reform (1977) and a member of the Executive Board (Vorstand) of the SPD fraction in the Bundestag [Lower House of the Federal Parliament]
As Parliamentary Secretary of State, opposition to the Flick tax exemption under Paragraph 6 b German Income Tax Act (EStG) (1980-1982). Subsequently questioned in the Flick Committee of the German Bundestag [Lower House of the Federal Parliament].
- After taking up office as Lord Mayor in 1982, pursued task of solving serious conflicts in the so-called "Freiburg Battle of the Houses" (the occupation of houses by alternative groups - the squatting scene from 1978 onwards). There was the offer of a dialogue, but after the Whitsun riots of 1987, all houses occupied by squatters were cleared using the the "Lord Mayor's formula": Yes to tolerance and alternative forms of living; No to breaches of the law and violence.
Supported a successful local public transport policy and a local energy supply concept (saving energy, use of alternative forms of energy, especially solar energy). At the same time, pursued a policy for jobs and improving infrastructure. Important projects were realised during my period of office, including inter alia:
- Improving finances (doubling the trade tax (Gewerbesteuer)) and greatest increase in the number of jobs in the whole of Baden-Württemberg. Welfare benefits rates fell by 30 % between 1998 and 2002.
1999 - 2002: No new borrowing or extra debt redemption.
- Awards for Freiburg including Eco Capital (1987) and 1st European Public Transport Award (1995). Top places in town rankings. Solar energy presentation at Expo 2000 in Hannover: Solar-City Freiburg
- Personal honours having been awarded medals and decorations, including Chevalier [Knight] of the French Légion d'honneur and the Verdienstmedaille [Medal of Merit] of the State of Baden-Württemberg as well as the Großes Bundesverdienstkreuz [Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany, Great Cross of Merit]. Honorary senator of the University of Freiburg and honorary citizen of the City of Freiburg.
of the National Forestry University
of Ukraine in Lviv
2006 and the
University of Freiburg (Faculty of Medicine)
- From summer 2002 to November 2005: Advisor on municipal politics to the Federal Minster of the Interior, Mr. Schily. In this capacity, an advisory member in the Commission for the Reform of Local Authority Finances 2003-2004.
Lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) until 2015-12-31
Member of the firm Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner, Rechtsanwälte - Wirtschaftsprüfer - Steuerberater, Freiburg.